Sciatica may be described as numbness, a tingling feeling, pain, or weakness in the legs. This occurs because of injury to the sciatic nerve. The feeling of numbness, pain, and weakness usually begins slowly, and you may neglect it, but with time the feeling can get worse and you may experience more pain at night, while laughing, when you sneeze or cough, when you bend towards the back, when you take long walks, when you stand or sit for a long time and suddenly move, and so on. Symptoms are usually restricted to the soles and the calves. Sciatica may be the result of a number of reasons, such as spinal stenosis, sacroiliac joint dysfunction, pregnancy, and Piriformis syndrome.
It is important to know the reason behind the problem in order to be able to solve it effectively. It is best to go with natural treatments because drugs can end up being toxic. You might get addicted to them, and the pain will be back as soon as you stop taking the drugs. Thus, it is safer to choose natural remedies. There are numerous different natural remedies that you could try for sciatica, such as those mentioned below:
- Treating the problematic area with ice and heat or either of the two can help you. It is ideal to begin with ice. Do it for two to three days and then use heat treatment. Hot water will relax the nerves and muscles and will also help you sleep better.
- When you sleep, make sure you sleep curled up. Also, place a soft pillow between your legs. If you have the habit of sleeping on your back, place the pillow or a roller towel under your knees.
- Include vegetable juice in your diet. Juice made out of potatoes, celery, and carrots is extremely helpful. Potatoes and celery are the pain relievers in this recipe and carrots are used so the juice is palatable.
- Horseradish is another great remedy. All you have to do it mince the horseradish and make a dressing out of it. Press it on your sore area and let it stay for about sixty minutes. Repeat the process thrice every day.
- You should exercise every day. Tai Chi, massages, yoga, and Pilates are very good remedies against sciatica.