The mineral magnesium is needed by humans because it maintains and assists in many biochemical reactions in the body, such as muscle relaxation and nerve function. Magnesium has also been shown in studies to keep the heart rhythm steady and lower blood pressure.
Many people take magnesium pills or use magnesium-filled Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) baths to absorb this calming mineral through their skin to soothe aching muscles, de-stress and unwind.
Another easy way to give your body the relaxing health benefits of magnesium is by making your own all-natural magnesium lotion. Magnesium lotion is a wonderful way to pamper and moisturize your skin, and can be a fun project for parents and kids to do together.
How to Make Magnesium Lotion
What You Will Need:
- Magnesium flakes, ½ cup. These are generally made from sea-derived magnesium chloride, and are available through many online natural health supplement companies.
- Organic raw extra virgin coconut oil, ¼ cup. Because of its growing popularity as healthy oil for cooking purposes, you will likely be able to find coconut oil in the oil section of your local grocery store or health food store.
- Shredded beeswax, 3 tablespoons. This product is available online, or in your local health or craft stores.
- Shea butter, 3 tablespoons. Shea butter can generally be found in the cream form online, and in local health stores.
- Boiling water, 3 tablespoons.
- Scent of your choice, if desired. This can be a few drops of vanilla extract, tea tree oil, almond oil, or an essential oil like lavender or rosemary, for example.
What You Will Do:
- In a glass container, combine the magnesium flakes with the boiling water and stir to create a thick liquid. Allow magnesium mixture to cool.
- Place a quart-sized glass jar into a small sauce pan with 1 inch of water; combine the coconut oil, shredded beeswax and shea butter and heat at medium.
- Once all ingredients have melted, let the jar cool outside of the pan until the mixture reaches room temperature, then transfer to a mixing bowl or blender. (Note: If using a blender, it is recommended to have a separate blender for non-edible beauty product-making, as they can be hard to clean.)
- Slowly add drops of the magnesium mixture until completely blended; then add any fragrance or extra essential oils to scent your lotion, if desired, and mix well
- Refrigerate at least 15 minutes and re-blend the magnesium lotion to ensure a creamy consistency once cold. This moisturizing supplement can be kept for up to two months.
It is recommended that adults and kids use magnesium lotion at the end of the day to help soothe muscles and enjoy of the calming qualities of magnesium. This lotion can also be massaged into tired feet or sore, aching backs for fast relief from cramping and pain.
Certain medications and dietary factors such as sugar, alcohol and caffeine can deplete our bodies of magnesium, making it more important than ever to ensure that we all get enough of this relaxing mineral, so use your homemade magnesium lotion to have a calm and restful end to every day.
Garrett Ford is a professional blogger that provides the latest information on furniture and home improvements. He writes for Unwind.com, the best place to find Ekornes Diplomat Recliners, Ekornes Oxford Recliners and many others.